See Political Parties Support programme for EISA's work in this field.
Podcast: Looking into SA's new Political Party Funding Act
EISA's Noxolo Gwala and POWER 98.7's political editor, Hajra Omarjee, discuss the Political Party Funding Act's strengths and weaknesses.
- Research report: Clayton Hazvinei Vhumbunu and Olufunto Akinduro (eds) 2020 Follow the Money: A Research Report on Party and Campaign Finance in South Africa's 2019 Elections, EISA.
Policy brief: Party and campaign finance in South Africa in the 2019 National and Provincial Elections,
Siphesihle Ndamase 2020.
- Inter-party Relations and Democracy in Botswana, Onalenna Doo Selolwane and Victor Shale, 2008
- Enhancing the Effectiveness of Political Parties in the SADC Region Through Public Outreach Programmes, Denis Kadima, Khabele Matlosa & Victor Shale, 2006
- Political Parties and Democratisation in the Southern African Development Community Region: The Weakest Link', Khabele Matlosa, 2005
- Political Parties and Political Evolution in Angola | Os Partidos e a Evolução Política em Angola (PORTUGUES & ENGLISH), Augusto Santana, 2006
- Political Parties in Botswana, Gloria Somolekae, 2005
- Parties and Political Transition in the Democratic Republic of Congo | Partis Politiques et Transition en République Démocratique Du Congo, H. Kabungulu Ngoy-Kangoy, 2006 (FRANÇAIS & ENGLISH)
- Political Parties and Democratisation in Lesotho, Khabele Matlosa and Caleb Sello, 2005
- Political Parties: Development and Change in Malawi, Nandini Patel, 2005
- Political Parties and Democracy in Mauritius, S Bunwaree, R Kasenally, 2005
- Parties and Political Development in Mozambique, Eduard J. Sitoe, Zefanias Matsimbe, Amilcar F. Pereira, 2005
- Parties and Political Development in Namibia, V L Tonchi, AN Shifotoka, 2005
- Political Parties and Democratic Governance in South Africa, Tom Lodge and Ursula Scheidegger, 2006
- Political Movements and the Challenges for Democracy in Swaziland, Joshua Bheki Mzizi, 2005
- Parties and Political Development in Tanzania, Rose Shayo, 2005
- Political Parties and the Quest for Democratic Consolidation in Zambia, Jotham Momba, 2005
- Political Parties and the Democratisation Process in Zimbabwe, Lloyd M. Sachikonye, 2005
Books and symposium documents
- Checks and balances: African constitutions and democracy in the 21st century
G Masterson and M Meirotti (eds), 2017
EISA focused its Tenth Annual Symposium on the constitutional framework within which limping democracies have to function. This publication represents the distilled essence of those deliberations.
- Understanding the Causes and Consequences of Political Party Alliances in Africa, Eighth Annual Symposium, Hilton Hotel, Sandton, Johannesburg, South South Africa, 26 - 27 September 2013.
- Setting Benchmarks For Enhanced Political Party Performance For Democratic Governance, Fifth Annual Symposium: 23-24 November 2010, Johannesburg, South Africa
- The Politics of Party Coalitions in Africa
Ed Denis Kadima, 2006 – Download chapters
Authors document, analyse and explain various aspects of the coalition process as it has played itself out in Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique and South Africa.
- Party Presence and Voter Trust: Findings from the EISA Pre-Election Day and Exit Poll Survey
Tom Lodge and S Ntuli, 1999. Order online
The insights from the survey conducted on the pre-polling day, 1st June 1999, are presented in a commentary on the character of party activity during the election campaign. Unusual for a new democracy, the parties embody a relatively well institutionalised political culture. The second essay considers voters' perceptions after casting their ballots, about integrity of the electoral process. Local levels of trust and confidence in the authorities are evaluated in the light of international experience.
Journal of African Elections
- Susan Booysen 2015 "Election 2014 and the ANC's Duet of Dominance and Decline" IN JAE Volume 14 Number 1 June: Special Issue South Africa's 2014 Elections
- Sithembile Mbete 2015 The Economic Freedom Fighters: South Africa's Turn Towards Populism?" IN JAE Volume 14 Number 1 June: Special Issue South Africa's 2014 Elections
- Ivor Sarakinsky and Ebrahim Fakir 2015 "A Brief History of Factionalism and New Party Formation and Decline in South Africa: The Case of Cope" IN JAE Volume 14 Number 1 June: Special Issue South Africa's 2014 Elections
- Mashupye H Maserumule, Ricky Munyaradzi Mukonza, Nyawo Gumede and Livhuwani L Ndou 2015 "The Impending Collapse of the House of Mamphela Ramphele: Agang SA" IN JAE Volume 14 Number 1 June: Special Issue South Africa's 2014 Elections
- Shauna Mottiar 2015 "The Democratic Alliance and the Role of Opposition Parties in South Africa" IN JAE Volume 14 Number 1 June: Special Issue South Africa's 2014 Elections
- ENTIRE ISSUE June, 2013 Understanding the Causes and Consequences of Political Party Alliances and Coalitions in Africa JAE 13(1)
- Anja Osei 2013 "Party-Voter Linkage in Senegal: The Rise and Fall of Abdoulaye Wade and the Parti Démocratique Sénégalais" IN JAE Volume 12 Number 2, October
- Adriano Nuvunga and Eduardo Sitoe 2013 "Party Institutionalisation in Mozambique: 'The Party of the State' vs the Opposition" IN JAE Volume 12 Number 2, October
- A Irene Pogoson 2012 "Gender, Political Parties and the Reproduction of Patriarchy in Nigeria: A Reflection on the Democratisation Process, 1999-2011", IN JAE Volume 11 Number 1: Special Issue Nigeria's 2011 Elections, June
- Susan Booysen 2010 "Party Opposition Perpetually on the Verge of Promise: South Africa's Election 2009" IN JAE Volume 9 Number 1, June
- Cherrel Africa 2009 "Party support and voter behaviour in the Western Cape: Trends and patterns since 1994" IN JAE Volume 9 Number 2: Special Issue - South Africa: Elections 2009, October
- Mcebisi Ndletyana 2009 "Congress of the People: A promise betrayed" IN JAE Volume 9 Number 2: Special Issue - South Africa: Elections 2009, October
- Mcebisi Ndletyana and Bavusile B Maaba 2009 "The African National Congress's unprecedented victory in KwaZulu-Natal: Spoils of a resurgent Zulu ethno-nationalism" IN JAE Volume 9 Number 2: Special Issue - South Africa: Elections 2009, October
- Phillip Mtimkulu 2009 "The Key to One-Party Dominance: A Comparative Analysis of Selected States: Some Lessons for South Africa" IN JAE Volume 8 Number 2, October
- Francis K Makoa 2008 Party Alliances and Political Coalitions During the 2007 General Election in Lesotho IN JAE Volume 7 Number 1, June: Special Issue: Elections and Democracy in Lesotho
- Fako Johnson Likoti 2008 How Parties Fared in the 2007 Election: A Theoretical Exploration of the Outcome IN JAE Volume 7 Number 1, June: Special Issue: Elections and Democracy in Lesotho
- Said Adejumo and Michael Kehinde 2007 Building Democracy without Democrats? Political Parties and Threats of Democratic Reversal in Nigeria IN JAE Volume 6 Number 2, October: Special Issue: Nigeria's 2007 General Elections
- N Olufemi Mimiko 2007 Party Formation and Electoral Context in Nigeria: Labour Party and the 2007 Election in Ondo State IN JAE Volume 6 Number 2, October: Special Issue: Nigeria's 2007 General Elections
- Sulaiman Balarabe Kura 2007 Contemporary African Political Parties: Institutionalisation for the Sustainability of Democracy IN JAE Volume 6 Number 1, June
- Victor Shale 2007 Opposition Party Alliances and Elections in Botswana, Lesotho and Zambia IN JAE Volume 6 Number 1, June
- Patrick Vander Weyden 2007 Founding Elections in the Democratic Republic of Congo: A Highly Fragmented Party System IN JAE Volume 6 Number 1, June
- Kaelo Molefhe and Lewis Dzimbiri 2006 A Failure to Unite Means a Failure to Win: The Leadership Challenge for Botswana's Opposition IN JAE Volume 5 Number 2, December 2006: Special Issue: Elections and Democracy in Botswana
- Onalenna Doo Selolwane and Victor Shale 2006 Opposition Politics and the Challenges of Fragmentation in Botswana IN JAE Volume 5 Number 2, December: Special Issue: Elections and Democracy in Botswana
- Zein Kebonang and Wankie Rodrick Wankie 2006 Enhancing Intra-Party Democracy: The Case of the Botswana Democratic Party IN JAE Volume 5 Number 2, December: Special Issue: Elections and Democracy in Botswana
- Bertha Chiroro 2006 The Dilemmas of Opposition Political Parties in Southern Africa IN JAE Volume 5 Number 1, June
- Jeremy Seekings 2006 Partisan Realignment in Cape Town 1994-2004 IN JAE Volume 5 Number 1, June
- Lloyd M Sachikonye 2005 Political Parties and the 2005 Elections in Zimbabwe IN JAE Volume 4 Number 2, October: Special Issue on Zimbabwe's 2005 General Election
- Denis K Kadima and Roukaya Kasenally 2005 The Formation, Collapse and Revival of Political Party Coalitions in Mauritius: Ethnic Logic and Calculation at Play IN JAE Volume 4 Number 1, June
- Dirk Kotzé 2004 Political Party Funding in the 2004 Election IN JAE Volume 3 Number 2, December: Special Issue: South African Elections, 2004
- Laurence Piper 2004 The Election Result and its Implications for Political Party Configuration IN JAE Volume 3 Number 2, December: Special Issue: South African Elections, 2004
- Heidi Brooks 2004 The Dominant Party System: Challenges for South Africa's Second Decade of Democracy IN JAE Volume 3 Number 2, December: Special Issue: South African Elections, 2004
- Tom Lodge 2004 The ANC After the 2004 Election IN JAE Volume 3 Number 2, December: Special Issue: South African Elections, 2004
- Shumbana Karume 2004 Party Systems in the SADC Region: In Defence of the Dominant Party System IN JAE Volume 3 Number 1, June
- Shumbana Karume 2004 Factional Intrigues and Alliance Politics: The Case of NARC in Kenya's 2002 elections IN JAE Volume 2 number 2, June
- Bookie Monica Kethusegile-Juru 2003 Intra-Party Democracy and the Inclusion Of Women, JAE Volume 2 number 1, April
- Tom Lodge 2001 "How Political Parties Finance Electoral Campaigning in Southern Africa", IN JAE Volume 1 Number 1, May, 53-60
Handbooks and manuals
- South Africa: Strengthening Political Parties for Sustainable Democracy Workshop 2, 2-4 March 2009.
- South Africa: Strengthening Political Parties for Sustainable Democracy Workshop 1, 24-25 February 2009.
- Regional Conference on Political Parties and Democratic Governance in the SADC Region, 2006.
- Botswana: Strengthening Political Parties for Sustainable Democracy Workshop, 8 December 2006.
- Political Parties: Policy development and public outreach workshop, 20 February 2006.
- Dialogue on Political Parties in Southern Africa, Angola, Botswana, DRC, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania and Zambia, 14-15 April 2005
- Dialogue on Political Parties in Southern Africa, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, 10-11 December 2004
- Roundtable meeting: Strengthening democracy in South Africa through party coalition building, June 2003.