EISA has signed Memorandums of Understanding with the RECs listed below in order to implement programme work in support of our vision.
By supporting the regional economic communities, EISA seeks to contribute to improving their election observation in an effort to promote credible democratic elections on the continent, as mandated by international and regional election benchmarks for the conduct and monitoring of elections.
Work with specific RECs has been tailored to their specific needs, but in general election observation capacity building has been preeminent. Pre-election Assessment Mission reports informed the deployment of REC EOMs.
Highlights of EISA's REC work
- ECCAS: Observer workshops 17-19 Jul 2019 in Douala.
- ECCAS-COMESA: Joint PAM to the tripartite elections in the DRC.
- ECOWAS: LTO methodology review workshop 16-20 September in Dakar and pilot training for EOM core team experts in Dakar on 3-5 December 2019.
- ICGLR: Regional workshop on women in electoral processes 12-13 Nov in Addis Ababa & technical meeting on election observation methodology 5-6 Nov in Lusaka.
- SADC: Observer refresher workshops conducted in Botswana, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia and South Africa, and technical support to the EOMs and an inception report on a training curriculum for EOM core team thematic experts to the Secretariat.
- ICGLR thematic workshop on democracy and elections 14-15 Aug 2018.
- SADC Comprehensive cycle-based election observation methodology development, development of an observer training curriculum, training of observers from 1-12 May in Pretoria, and support to EOMs to the DRC, Madagascar, Swaziland and Zimbabwe.
- EAC: Support to EAC EOMs were deployed in Kenya and Rwanda, and technical support the 6th conference on good governance from 10-11 Oct held in Arusha.
ECOWAS: Review meeting of EISA work with Electoral Assistance Division (EEAD), as well as a workshop on long-term election observer capacity on 13 August 2017 and technical support to the Liberia EOM in Sep.
- ICGLR: MOU signed with International Conference for the Great Lakes Region on 31 Jul 2017 in Bujumbura.
- SADC: In-country EOM observer refresher training for the Aug 2017 elections in Angola.
- ECOWAS: Draft MoU was submitted to the Electoral Assistance Division followed by two consultative meetings in Apr and 20 May about the Division's priorities and challenges.
- SADC: Secretariat Handbook on the Coordination and Management of SADC Election Observation Missions (SEOMs) was finalised, and the draft of the EOM reference manual was submitted to the Secretariat.
- COMESA EISA's technical teams provided advisory services to the COMESA EOM co-ordination teams and the mission leadership, and facilitated the briefing and orientation of observers and supported the drafting of key EOM statements and reports during the COMESA EOMs to Zambia and Egypt.
- EAC: EISA supported the EAC EOM in Burund, participating in high-level meetings and in the mediation process between the government of Burundi and opposition parties. EISA provided technical assistance to the EAC EOM deployed in Tanzania for the 2015 general election.
- ECCAS: EISA deployed an electoral expert to the ECCAS secretariat in January, establishing an ECCAS Liaison Office.
- ECOWAS: EISA contributed to crafting the LTO methodology at the ECOWAS Network of Electoral Commissions (ECONEC) annual meeting and the ECOWAS Long Term Observer (LTO) methodology review workshop (22-24 Jul 2015, Cape Verde). Subsequently the EEAD requested EISA to facilitate a briefing programme for ECOWAS LTOs deployed to the transition elections in Burkina Faso in Nov 2015 in Ouagadougou, contributing to professionalising ECOWAS' election assessment by preparing its LTOs for field work.
- SADC: EISA supported the training and briefing of SADC observers deployed to the elections in Lesotho, Tanzania and Seychelles. EISA also participated in the review of the SADC Principles And Guidelines Governing Democratic Elections [Revised, 2015], the draft of which was adopted by the Ministerial Committee of the SADC Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation on 20 July 2015. EISA was contracted to revise the SADC staff procedural manual on EOMs, which is yet to be finalised.
- EAC: Delegation from the EAC Secretariat and the EAC Electoral Commissions Forum hosted as part of the EISA EOM to Mozambique.
- COMESA: Joint planning meeting to create a framework for action in the operationalisation of MoU.
- ECCAS: Capacity building workshop in São Tomé and Príncipe from 22-26 September 2014; support to São Tomé and Príncipe EOM.
- SADC: Training and briefing of EOMs to Malawi, Botswana and Mozambique; technical support to Electoral Advisory Council (SEAC) in observation methodology and management review, revise staff EOM handbook; co-facilitated EAC review of SADC Guidelines and Principles workshop.
- EAC-COMESA-IGAD Joint EOM: An EISA staff member was attached to the joint EAC-COMESA-IGAD observer mission deployed to the 4 March 2013 general elections in Kenya to provide technical assistance to the joint EOM of 78 members. Prior to the EOM EISA assisted the EAC pre-election assessment mission in November 2012 and the Planning Meeting for the three RECs in February.
EAC: EISA supported the EAC's a post-election observation review workshop in June 2013 in Tanzania by developing a guiding framework for lesson-learning. The EAC and EISA renewed their MoU on 10 December 2013 in Nairobi for another three years is, and seeks to solidify gains made thus far and broaden to other areas where the EAC can be instrumental in entrenching democratic governance in the EAC member states.
- COMESA: EISA provided technical assistance to the COMESA EOM to the 30 July 2013 Elections in Zimbabwe through the training of observers and assistance in the coordination of the 27-strong mission. EISA also provided technical assistance to COMESA Technical Assessment Missions to elections in Rwanda (16-18 Sep), Swaziland (20 Sep) and Madagascar (25 Oct). In November 2013 COMESA signed a three-year MoU with EISA to formalise its partnership in the area of democratic governance.
- SADC: Technical support to the SADC EOMs in Zimbabwe, Swaziland and Madagascar and to SEAC workshops.
- EAC: A workshop for the EAC Electoral Commissions' Forum was facilitated 11-12 Jun 2012 in Nairobi, with 35 participants from all member states, to promote peer-learning among the East African EMBs and explore mechanisms for strengthening collaboration. EISA provided input into the EAC Principles for Election Observation and Evaluation drafted by the East African elections expert meeting convened by the EAC in collaboration with the UNDP in Nairobi. It was subsequently adopted by the Ministerial Council of the EAC and was used for the first time by the EAC Observation Mission to the 4 March 2013 elections in Kenya.
- SADC: EISA extended its contribution to the SADC observation missions with the production of background briefing documents for Lesotho and Angola. EISA conducted a refresher training and briefing sessions for SADC observers to Lesotho and Angola. Further, EISA conduct a 4-day training of SADC observers that was held in Harare, Zimbabwe from 8-11 Oct 2012. EISA developed SEAC's five-year strategic plan and made presentations at all SEAC meetings held in 2012, completed the Handbook for SADC Observers and wrote an advisory paper on SADC election observer deployment methodology.
- COMESA-EAC-IGAD: Technical assistance to the joint EAC-COMESA-IGAD EOM to the 18 February 2011 Ugandan elections in including training 70 observers and providing advisory services to the secretariat. The joint observer mission was regarded as successful and similar initiatives were foreseen in the future
- SADC EISA trained and facilitate the briefing sessions for observers for the DRC, Seychelles and Zambia EOMs. Fifty members of the South African Department of International Relations and Cooperation were trained on election observation in March 2011 and added to the SADC observer pool. In April the SADC Election Advisory Council (SEAC) was inaugurated and the SADC Election Support Unit (SECU) was established. EISA Facilitated induction of the SEAC, contributed to the development of its rules and guidelines, and facilitated strategic planning.
- ECCAS: MoU signed.
- EAC: MoU signed; technical assistance to EOM to Tanzania
- Southern African Development Community: The MoU agreement was extended to include training for SADC observers and included capacity development for the secretariat iro management and co-ordination of EOMS. Workshops were held in Port Louis (25-26 April) for observers to the Mauritian elections, in Harare (23-27 August 2010) for a core observer group, and Dar es Salaam (6-18 Oct) for observers to the Tanzanian elections. The Secretariat was assisted in developing a handbook on EOM management for SADC staff.
Development of the Secretariat staff in the management and coordination of election observation missions and the training of observers in May 2009 in Gaborone, and facilitation of the Electoral Advisory Council Task Force meeting in Aug 2009.
Observers training in Feb 2008 in Gaborone and in Johannesburg in Jul 2008.
Observer training and SADC Secretariat capacity development, in Feb 2008 in Gaborone and in Johannesburg in Jul 2008.
Observers training programme instituted in the area of management and coordination of effective election observation missions in November 2007 in Midrand for EOMs to Zimbabwe, Angola and Swaziland